- Alex Preston writes about the supposed war on the humanities in the UK forThe Guardian .
- Sarah Churchwell’s jeremiad is a good accompaniment.
- A new bill in North Carolina would require faculty at the state’s research universities to teach at least 4 classes a semester (or 8 per academic year)—echoing Walker’s comments about faculty workload in Wisconsin.
- The University of Warwick outsources its temporary (i.e. adjunct) faculty to a separate company, and I’m surprised that no US university has done so yet.
- While university instructional staff (what used to be faculty) may have difficulty securing gainful employment, students might not be fairing much better. The St. Louis Fed estimates that over 25% of students in repayment are delinquent (i.e. a payment is 30 or more days late).